Wednesday, August 26, 2009

80,XXX km minor service


Last Sunday I gave the Ipsum a wash and sent it for a minor service. This time, I purchased a full synthetic Toyota Motor Oil (TMO) from CT Auto at Larkin (RM150) and went to City Tyre (Michelin shop at Taman Pelangi, JB). The oil filter was original Toyota and supplied by City Tyre (RM25) and the labour cost was RM15. Total spent was RM190.

This was my first experience with TMO. All this while, we used M7 engine oil. I was a bit sceptical at first because TMO is locally made for UMW Toyota, the local Toyota authorised distributor. Boy was I'm in for a surprise. TMO is a weightier oil if compared to M7. The Ipsum is a bit reluctant when accelerating with TMO. It is by no mean slow. However, once the Ipsum met the required speed, the Ipsum felt more stable. My wife who was seating at the middle row did also complemented the same.

This was my first time with Toyota Oil Filter too. Before this mostly with M7 oil filter.

This may cause us to stick to Toyota original products. The engine oil is cheaper than M7, more suitable for the engine and last longer (10,000 km). M7 lasted 5,000 km despite being a fully synthetic.

Another thing which I realise is that the front bonnet is less hot to touch after drives. Less heat should be a good thing for the engine.

I was more than happy after this service.

6,000 km ago, the Ipsum was sent to Mutiara Motor's new outlet at Larkin for service. I purposefully did not post about it to wait for this service to compare with.

The new outlet was a clean and of a high standard. There was a waiting lounge with air-conditioner, coffee, astro and LCD TV. The workshop floor is a shiny clean and I've never seen such a standard before. With all this, I was prepared for a premium pricing.

For a start, there was no longer M7 free oil filter with the purchase of the M7 engine oil. This was the first cause of a higher service. Apart from the free oil filter, I usually also get a free t-shirt which is a nice one for daily home wear.

The service was fast. My Ipsum was attended to by 3 personnels.

During the service, I was inform that my Greddy air filter is old and should be replaced. I was told that Mutiara Motor no longer have them in stock and I was recommended M7 filter which was not cheap. I asked whether I can wash my Greddy filter since it is a washable type (I have never washed the filter prior to that - overlooked the matter). The lady went to ask the mechanic and informed me that the air filter's life should have come to an end. It should be replaced.

Since I already have another clean filter at home, I went home later and install the other set. Mutiara was right that my Ipsum improved tremendeously after the other air filter was replaced. However, I have washed the dirty filter and re-fit the same to the Ipsum and it is still in good shape. I smelled somebody was trying to gain some commission from the air filter sale.

I think the labour costs was high and I cannot accept it as reasonable because -

i. It was a normal service ;
ii. They identified 1 bulb which needed replacement but in actual fact there was 2 which needed replacement ;
iii. The bulbs were not changed because they did not have them in stock;
iv. The engine oil was costly but I think not that good for the Ipsum and not long lasting as the cheaper TMO.

I find it hard to accept the above. Thus, that may be my final visit to Mutiara for service.

Mobile Blogger on E71

No comments: