Monday, February 4, 2008

Review by Asian Auto

Found it here.

Toyota Ipsum 2.4 MPV

I will never know why fathers and their daughters have an almost sacred, untouchable bond but I am simply glad that I had that special connection with mine. So while I strive to pen down a female perspective of the cars I drive, I admit that I owe whatever passion I have for cars and machines today to one great man: my father. Back in the 70s when colonialism had not completely lost its gilt edge and the Japanese were still considered juniors in the automotive industry, we used to joke that Japanese cars like Toyota’s were made from Milo tins.

Okay, so maybe my uncle’s brand new Toyota looked a lot flashier than our second-hand Fiat and we were harbouring a little bit of envy. For us, it was European cars all the way; give us a strong and solid Saab any day! Well, the 80s came and the Japanese learnt how to conquer the world in a different way and what would you know, they conquered my father too. Our very first brand new car was a 1984 Mitsubishi Gallant Super Touring and for some reason I remember him taking all of us out on his final test drive and saying that he wanted to know if we were comfortable at the back.

Now, you might wonder what my father and a Mitsubishi have
got to do with the 2001 Toyota Ipsum 240e. It’s a funny place to start but I got to thinking of the past when I tried to figure out why my first impression of the Ipsum wasn’t that great. This is because I was judging it from the final row of seats, which feel kind of dark and claustrophobic. So if you have a family of six or more, and only possess the budget for one car, read no further because the rest of the car is so good you might not care about the back seats anymore.

What a Feeling
I love driving the Toyota Ipsum I love driving the Toyota Ipsum around. It is really comfortable up front and I am not just talking about seats either! The steering wheel, which is the ultimate point of contact between you and your car, grips well and moves easily. Behind it sits a panel of meters so chic in its simplicity. An all-white glow of needles and numbers against a solid backdrop of black reminds me of some classic Yves Saint Laurent number. Controls for airconditioning and the stereo are very accessible from the driver’s high perch and there’s no need to stretch downward because the automatic gearshifts are placed just to the left of the display panel. The hand brake is also accessible but with your foot, like you would find in Mercedes cars.

Like the French, the Japanese seem to have a penchant for oddment pockets. The difference is that they keep these storage spaces relevant and useful to a driver’s needs. Just beneath an expansive front windscreen, lies a big compartment that is perfect for CDs, sunglasses and keys. Behind the vanity mirror, you will find an actual slot for plastic cards and carpark tickets, ideal for your Touch ‘n Go card. But the best space of all is the one running smack down the middle between driver and front passenger. I would like to call this space the handbag platform because that is exactly what it is. Mothers on the go can call this the ‘diaper bag platform’ if they wish to!

Still on the subject of space, there is one other area, which needs your serious consideration: the boot. At a maximum capacity of seven passengers, there is little boot space left even when you include the secret compartment under the main storage area. So long distance journeys are difficult if not impossible. If you are seating five, then boot space becomes something of a luxury!

Downtown
Accelerating to speeds of 100km/h and above, I begin to find out that there is more to the Ipsum than just style and design. Moving solidly ahead as I speed towards the city centre, the car begins to display its power and responsiveness. Perhaps this is all thanks to the Ipsum’s Electronic Fuel Injection System. This is refreshing because usually when you are considering a family car, you would expect some form of compromise when it comes to the car’s driving performance. Not here. The car’s suspension is also good enough to give you a secure feeling even when you are going over bumps at high speeds.

So, turn up the music, open the twin moon roofs and let your hair down because this is one enjoyable ride. The only grouse I have is the slightly annoying presence of wind noise at higher speeds. There’s that and the fact that the stereo system looks exactly like the one I have in my humble Proton Wira. I would say that if there were any corners that had to be cut, these would be the telltale signs.

If you are what some call a typical female driver, then parking and overall driving efficiency is not your forte but the Ipsum makes things like that easy,offering great handling so you don’t have to struggle. A nice tight turning circle is good for maneuvering the car around and parking is aided by huge side mirrors and, clearance and back sonars. Other aids that make driving the Ipsum a breeze are front and rear fog lamps, front and rear defoggers

So, fret not. You can step out of the car for your next meeting or party knowing full well that your make up is still intact!

Big on Japan
What do I think of Toyotas now? I love them, especially the Ipsum 240e. So you could say that the Japanese have conquered me too. And if you are wondering whether my father became a total convert, the answer is a huge “Of course not!” After years of persistence, he finally got his Saab! But that is another story altogether.

No comments: